Thursday, April 26, 2007

Catchy tune holds product placement



My sister, being a teenage high school student, is on top of all the latest trends. She mentioned that I should seach for a song and watch the video. So I did, and now I'm passing it along to you. The song is "My lipgloss is poppin" by Lil Mama. After listening to it the first time, I decided it has more than appropriate for my blog on product placement.

A verse of the lyrics is as follows:
Mac Mac L'Oreal yep 'cause I'm worth it
Love the way I put it on so perfect
Wipe the corners of my mouth so I work it
When I walk down the hallway they can't say nothing
Oh oh oh my lips so luscious
The way I spice it up with the Mac Mac brushes
L'Oreal got the most watermelon crushes
That's probably is the why these boys got crushes…

It's the lipgloss song so obviously it features some name brand cosmetic products. It's free promotion for Mac and L'Oreal. The song specifically targets high schoolers. They are a great target because they are on top off all the latest trends and styles, especially in music and are very influential among their friends. If you can get them to try a product, then they will tell their friends who will want it.
Yet another product placement spotted... where will you find the next?

2 comments:

Kim Gregson said...

5 points extra credit

peaceful mama said...

Lil mama's next video, GS lide Tour bus has way worse Loreal product placement, and it's so marketed to little girls, the song uses sample from "wheels on the bus". I like Lil mama's singing, dancing & rapping, but I HATE the prodect placement. Make it stop!!!!!